ROTARY CLUB OF BANBRIDGE

Home Page Club News Presidents Photo Album Officers Banbridge Club Projects Rotary Foundation Diary Links Contact Us

The “Cut” and the Downshire Bridge were completed in 1834 - this photo dating from 1900.
Locally the bridge itself, Europe’s first fly-over, is better known as Jinglers Bridge on account of a certain apple seller who, in times gone by, attracte3d attention by jingling the coins in her apron.

"The great hill of Bridge Street, with the Market House perched on top and the famous Bunch of Grapes Inn situated where the present Town Hall is, presented a very real problem to the Royal Mail coaches which had great trouble negotiating the steep slope. Threats were made that the town would be bypassed by the Royal Mail coaches, a loss of trade which no one wished to see.
So in the early 19th century a cutting was made and the great hill was lowered. A bridge was built across the gap to link the roads from Scarva and Rathfriland - and this was the Downshire Bridge - more commonly known as 'The Jinglers Bridge'. A turnpike house (now demolished) was built at the end of Newry Street to collect tolls from those wishing to use the new road to Newry, access to which was controlled by a large gate across the Newry Road at this point."

The Downshire Arms Hotel

Rebuilt in 1816 and recently refurbished the Downshire Arms Hotel is an excellent example of a Georgian Coaching-Inn, situated at the bottom of the steep hill mentioned above, originally providing the second coach stop on the long journey from Belfast to Dublin.
Although it is many years since the stage coaches clattered into the hotel-yard where "mine-host" would receive the travel-weary guests for rest and refreshment, the broad cobbled court-yard enclosed by whitewashed stables, coach-houses and outbuildings still remains little altered.
The "olde-worlde" charm is retained throughout the hotel, the bar still having the wide open fireplace glowing and radiating a warm and friendly welcome to all.